Monday, August 29, 2011

By the Beach

Uncle Dear Max,


You should have caught us walking today.  Mom and I looked like we were in one of those commercials shot on the nearly empty romantic beach at sunrise.  I  know you must have cringed at the one talking about "erectile dysfunction."  The couple is walking along the water's edge with their happy dog, both smiling, holding hands, with one hanging onto the dog's coiled-up lead as he runs "free" alongside them.


Well, we were not on the beach, and we were not in a pharmaceutical commercial on TV.  But I understood the feeling, Max. 

I was "free" the entire walk, and she had my soft braided red leash (yes, the one you carefully lassoed me with that first session) in her hand.  She felt very proud of both of us; I just know she did.  She was in control; but so was I.  

I spotted an old lady in the distance with three fluffy dogs with really short legs.  As I ran towards them to get a better look I turned and glanced back at my mom and I kept my distance.  They were well-trained and stayed their ground.  They were so well behaved I thought maybe you helped train them too.


Then a young struggling couple in pink T-shirts came by pushing their baby (also in matching pink) and I again checked back with mom.  I think I caught the signal to stay cool and I let them come over to me, and let them pet me. They said they had a chihuahua mix at home...another one of these, go figure!


A while later a sleek older greyhound trotted by real slowly.  His snout  was so long and pointy that I did not have to move far to touch it but I didn't have the nerve to kiss him, even though his owner said he was real sweet.  I am trying to learn to be more discerning.

"Training session" over, and time to head back home.   I decide to listen and "come" quickly ( no pun intended) when she calls (especially now that she's learned it helps to keep a tasty Milk-Bone in her pocket).


Tobes.












0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home